|Black Sea Coast > Kavarna > History
History of KavarnaKavarna is the successor of the Thracian settlement called Bizone, the earliest finds dating back to the end of 6th century BC. Later on Greek settlers came here and turned it into one of the numerous Greek colonies along the Black Sea coast. In 1st century BC the town suffered severe earthquake that swallowed it almost completely. Then it was restored and included in the territory of the Roman Empire and consequently in that of Byzantium.
Nowadays traces of the old settlement are to be found on both the high and low parts of the area. After the foundation of the Bulgarian State on the Balkan Peninsula the town changed its name several times. It was called Karvouna, Karbona, Karnava and finally Kavarna. In the Middle Ages the invasion of the Tartars destroyed it. Later on the Boyar Balik restored it and it became independent principality named Karvounska Hora.
The Turks conquered it in 1393. The town moved slowly to its present day location. It suffered the Russian-Turkish Wars of 1828-1829 and of 1850, then it was restored but shortly before the liberation the inhabitants of Kavarna rebelled and as a result of the suppression of the rebellion, the town was put to fire and devastated by the bashibozouk (Turkish army of volunteers). 1200 people found their death.
The town of Kavarna was once again rebuilt and became an agricultural and fishing centre. Then it took part in the revolts of Dourankoulak in 1900. Nowadays the town is an industrial centre; there is an agricultural technical school and a harbour.