||Centralnorth Bulgaria > Teteven > Landmarks
Landmarks in TetevenThe Town Museum of History (3, Sava Mladenov Sq., tel.: 0678 2005). Working hours: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m. (all the week round in summertime). Saint Iliya Monastery built up during the 14th century is one of the 4 buildings, which survived in the sinister year of 1801.
All Saints Church (situated in the central part of the town). It was built from 1834 to 1846 and is an exception among the churches built up during the years of the Ottoman Rule due to its large dimensions it is 31.1 m long, 14 m wide with thickness of the walls of 1.5 m. Its two large bells were cast in Moscow. The pulpit is decorated with woodcarving from Debre and the iconostasis is with woodcarvings from Teteven. The ancient housemuseums from those, which survived in 1801 are remarkable Bobevs house (tel.: 0678 3205), Tuikovs (tel.: 0678 3097), Hadzhi Ivans (with Levskis hiding-place in it) and Iorgos house. Teteven has a Picture Gallery, too. The monuments of Petko Strashniya (the Terrible) (at the beginning of the town), of Banio Marinov and others are erected here, too.
Teteven is famous for its rakiya (plum brandy). Every year at the beginning of the May the biggest mountain cycling race on the Balkan Peninsula is held here organized by the Bulgarian Extreme Sports Club Boundless.