||Centralnorth Bulgaria > Tryavna > History
History of Tryavna
According to the legend the settlement originated during the 12th century during the reign of the Assen Dynasty. The youngest brother Kaloyan erected the St. Archangel Michail Church in the area of Truvna (named after the resilient grass around), around which a whole village gradually grew up. During the Ottoman Rule Tryavna was a privileged settlement, whose inhabitants guarded the pass through the Balkan to Odrin and Istanbul. The settlement reached prosperity at the end of the 18th and at the beginning of the 19th century when the crafts, the applied arts and the trade established themselves on the market. The influence of the representatives of Tryavna Art School is strongly felt. Masons built beautiful houses, schools and churches. Icon-painters ornamented them with icons and mural paintings and joiners (woodcarvers) completed their work with unparalleled altars, ceilings and windows. Felix Kanits who visited the town in 1872 called in the Bulgarian Nuernberg. A lot of Tryavna citizens took an active part in the struggles for an independent Bulgarian church, for national awareness and liberation. The town is the birthplace of Levskis associate Angel Kunchev. Petko R. Slaveikov lived there, too and his eminent son, the poet Pencho P. Slaveikov was born in Tryavna.
The exceptionally healthy climate and the divine countryside of Tryavna made it a paramount resort as early as in 1896. Later on the first in our country childrens sanatorium for chest diseases was built up here with a donation from Tsaritsa Ioana (wife of Tsar Boris III).