Zone Bulgaria  
English
Bulgarian
Deutsch
French
Russian
 
Main Menu
Centralsouth Bulgaria > Kazanluk > Landmarks

Landmarks in Kazanluk

The Kazanluk Thracian Tomb (dated back to the end of 4th and first half of the 3rd century BC) was excavated in 1944. It is one of the 9 cultural, historic and natural sites in Bulgaria included in the UNESCO list of monuments of global importance. Indeed, it is a masterpiece of the Thracian architecture and painting. It is considered to belong to the dome-shaped type of tombs. The tomb is located in the north-eastern parts of the town, in the Tyulbeto Park. It consists of a lobby, a corridor and a round-shaped dome-roofed burial tomb. The system of ornaments in the corridor is complex and extremely interesting. The walls are covered with shining, fine plaster and a beautiful fresco - characteristic of the times - of interwoven leaves encircle its upper part. Scenes of war are depicted and in the centre of each one can see two warriors and two more coming from both sides, all of them in their battle attire and weapons. Warriors on horseback are also shown with the particulars of their battle gear and armament. This theme relates to the military and political activities of the deceased. The focal point is the main composition, which describes a burial feast. It is there that one can see a married couple of obvious eminence, painted with great skill and care. They are placed sit but next to them stands a tall woman, presumed to represent the Goddess of land and fertility - Demetra. Numerous figures of wildly galloping horses and battle carts add to the width and depth of the scene.

The tomb is embedded into a special protective building, equipped with all the necessary air-conditioning systems for preserving the frescos. Near to the original a one-to-one copy has been built for mass visitation with working hours 8.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Telephone for information: 0431 24700.

Another notable tomb is the Muglizh Tomb - 3 kilometres west of the small town of Muglizh (regular busses from Kazanluk). It dates back to the 3rd century BC and has an overall length of 23 meters.

Iskra Town Museum (Iskra Str.15) was founded in 1901, exhibits more than 70 000 objects and is one of the oldest in the country. In 1930 director of the museum became the well-known Bulgarian writer Dimitur Hristov Chorbadzhiiski - Choudomir. At present it is divided into 5 thematic sections. The Town Art Gallery (located in the same building with the museum) is one of the oldest and richest in the country especially when one takes into account that Kazanluk is the birthplace of such painters as Dechko Uzunov, Nenko Balkanski, Ivan Milev, Choudomir and a number of others. Apart from great pieces of art, the gallery possesses a collection of icons and engravings form the Revival Period as well as a small collection of works from the sphere of the ornamental and applied arts. Branches to the gallery are the houses of Prof. Nenko Balkanski, and  of the national painter Dechko Uzunov both exhibiting unique pieces of art.

Choudomir Museum of Literature and Art has a year-round art exhibition called The life and works of Choudomir and a picture gallery appreciation to many talents and nationally important works of Choudomir. The Choudomir Festivities are held in Kazanluk each year from 25th  March (the birthday of the author) until the 1st April (Humour and Jokes Day).

The Museum of the Rose. The oil-yielding rose was imported in Bulgaria during the 18th century from the Middle East and found the most favourable conditions for growing in the valley of the Toundzha River - between the Stara Planina and the Sredna gora mountain ranges the valley was later called Valley of Roses. Founded in 1969, this museum is unique of its kind not only in Bulgaria. It working hours: 8.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m. all the week round. Each year during the first weekend of June it becomes the focus of attention during the traditional annual Festival of the Rose - the most colourful event in the Town of the Roses.

Koulata Ethnographic Complex (the Tower) is located in the oldest quarter of Kazanluk at Knyaz Svetopoli-Mirski Str. Two restored houses were turned into permanent ethnographic expositions - a traditional village house of the sub-Balkan region as from the 19th century and a typical town house (the Hadzhienovs house) of mid 19th century illustrate with their interior the way old Bulgarians lived in this part of the country.

St. Joan the Precursor Church was built in 1844. In 1877 the greater part of the frescoes were destroyed. Stefan Ivanov, Nikola Marinov and Dechko Uzunov restored the wall paintings in 1936. Now it exibits two medallions, painted by Choudomir and Mara Chorbadzhiiska as well. The Holy Trinity Church - 1834. St. Iliya the Prophet Church of 1866. In 1877 the bashibozouk (armed volunteers) of the army of Sulleiman Pasha slaughtered more than 200 citizens of Kazanluk, seeking refuge in the church. Their bones are exhibited in the church-yard. The Nunnery Convent (1828) was a hospital for Russian soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers during the Russian-Turkish War of Liberation of 1877 - 1978, many of which were buried in its backyard.

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright