Zone Bulgaria  
English
Bulgarian
Deutsch
French
Russian
 
Main Menu
Centralsouth Bulgaria > Plovdiv > Landmarks

Landmarks in Plovdiv

The first ranking landmark is The Old Town of Plovdiv Architecture Reserve, attracting visitors from all over the world. It covers the Three-hill area, which is the original location of the town. Almost all of the most interesting history-related sights are within the old town area: cult, residential and public housings, archaeological monuments and museums, narrow cobble-paved streets. The Holy Virgin Church dating back to 1844 (6, Suborna Str., tel.: 032 223265, working hours: 7.30 a.m. - 7.00 p.m. all the week round). St. Constantine and Elena Church dating back in 1832, St. Marina Church (1856) with a very interesting wood-carved iconostatis. Ancient (Roman) Amphitheatre is situated close to the Southern entrance of the fortress, above the road tunnel. The marble amphitheatre, built up by Emperor Мark Aurelius during the 2nd century is the best-preserved monument of those times in our lands. It frequently hosts various performances.

Nebet Tepe Archaeological Complex - remains within the Northern part of the Three-hill area. Philipopolis fortress walls can be seen within the central part of the Ancient town. Hissar Kapiya (the eastern gate of the fortress, built more than 2000 years ago). The Yellow School built in 1868 (Todor Samodumov Str., the first building constructed to serve as an educational facility in Plovdiv. The House and cellar of Hadzhi Dragan from Kalofer - 1848-1854, 32, P.R. Slaveikov Str., currently serves as a branch of the National Cultural Monuments Institute). The house of Andrei Georgiadi (The Hadzhikalchovs House) dating back to 1831, 6, Mitropolit Paisii Str., currently houses the creative fund of the Union of Research Workers. The House of Argir Koyumdzhiouglu built in 1847 by the master Hadzhi Georgi, presently hosts the Ethnographical museum (2, Dr. Chomarov Str., tel.: 032 225656, working hours: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m., closed on Monday and Friday morning). House of Artin Gidikov from 1848, now houses the 9th regional mayors office (15, 4th January Str.). The House of Birdas from 1856, now serving as official acceptance hall of the Mayor of Plovdiv (45, Suborna Str.). House of Veren Stambolyan (built in the second half of 19th century) now housing the creative fund of the Union of Bulgarian Artists  (15, Cyril Nektariev Str.). The House of Georgi Mavridi, where the French poet Lamartin lived in 1833, now hosting the creative fund of the Union of Bulgarian Writers (19, Knyaz Tseretelev Str.). House of Dimitur Georgiadi (1848), now turned into a Museum of the Bulgarian Revival (1, Tsanko Lavrenov Str., tel.: 032 223350, working hours: 9.00 a.m.- 2.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m.-5.00 p.m., closed on Sundays). House of Dr. St. Chomakov (1860), now hosting the Art Gallery - exhibition of Zlatyu Boyadzhiev (18, Suborna Str., tel.: 032 260707. House of Nikola Nedkovich 1863 (3, Tsanko Lavrenov Str., tel.: 032 626216) currently serving as Museum of the Urban Revival Style - a small romantic palace, located on the Three-hill area, painted in frescos and wall-paintings, exuberantly decorated with wood-carvings, columns, arches and bows. The Balabanovs House (the house of Hadzhi Lamisha, currently also functioning as Museum of the Revival Traditions). The House of the Ritor from the mid 19th century, now turned into a hotel-restaurant complex (8, Todor Samodumov Str.). House of Hristo G. Danov from the second half of 19th century, now serving as Tourist House (5, P.R. Slaveikov Str., tel.: 032 223958). These locations comprise only a small portion of the interesting sights in the Old Town of Plovdiv.

Archaeological Museum (1, Saedinenie Sq., tel.: 032 224339) accommodating the most valuable - Panagyurishte Golden Treasure consisting of wine set masterpieces, the weight of which equals 6.169 kilos of pure gold.  History museum - Modern History Exhibition (14, Аngel Boukoureshtliev Str., tel.: 032 222014).  History Museum - Reunion Exhibition (1, Saedinenie Sq., tel.: 032 260252, 269959, working hours: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. - 3.00 p.m., closed on Saturdays and Sundays). Museum of Natural History (34, Hristo G. Danov Str., tel.: 032 226663). Art Gallery - temporary exhibition (15, Kniaz Alexander I Str., tel.: 032 224220). Art gallery - exhibition of icons (22, Suborna Str., tel.: 032 226086). Art gallery - permanent exhibition (14A, Suborna Str., tel.: 032 267790).

The Roman Stadium (located in the pedestrian zone of Kniaz Alexander I Str., in the proximity of Sahat Tepe. It was constructed during the 2nd century reproducing the layout of the stadium in Delphi, Greece, and the marble seats accommodated 30 000 spectators of games and gladiator fights. The Roman Forum (located at the central city square, against the Central Post Office Building). Remains of stone-paved streets, foundations of administrative and agricultural buildings and marble columns were found out from the centre of the ancient major town of the Roman province of Thrace. 

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright