Zone Bulgaria  
English
Bulgarian
Deutsch
French
Russian
 
Main Menu
Northeast Bulgaria > Razgrad > History

History of Razgrad

Razgrad is the successor of the Roman settlement called Abritus (its ruins are situated near the town), the latter being established at the place of a Thracian settlement with an unknown name. The medieval Bulgarian settlement called Hrazgrad (Hrisgrad) sprang up upon the remains of the ruins of the Byzantine town already destroyed in the invasions.

In 1388 it fell under Turkish reign. Since 1573 on the town gradually grew into a craft centre. People reared silkworms. There was a trading colony from Dubrovnic dating back to 16th century.

It developed as a typical Oriental town. Bulgarians from the nearby villages gradually settled there and thus changed the ethnical pattern. In 1860 the first school opened its doors. The first Bulgarian poetess Stanka Nikolitsa Spaso-Elenina worked as a teacher in the Revival town of Razgrad.

On 1st March 1879 when the foundations were laid for the Mausoleum of the Russian liberators Prince Dondoukov-Korsakov was among the guests present. At that time Frank Grunanger was the towns architect.

For the last decades Razgrad has developed as a centre of pharmaceutical industry in Bulgaria.

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright