Zone Bulgaria  
Main Menu
Northeast Bulgaria > Turgovishte > Landmarks

Landmarks in Turgovishte

There are more than 30 buildings of interesting architecture in the old Revival quarter called Varosh. Among them are the school named St. St. Cyril and Methodius and Their Five Disciples (1863; 1, G.S.Rakovski Str.) where Spiridon Gramadov and Petko R. Slaveikov (who gave the plan for the construction) were teachers and where the latter started editing the Gaida (Bagpipe) newspaper. At present the building houses the Museum of History (tel.: 0601 25188, working hours: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m. except Mondays). The Assumption Church (1851; Ekzarh Yosiff Str., tel.: 0601 41236) is one of the most beautiful churches built in Bulgaria before the Liberation. The house of Angel Hadzhi Droumev (1863; 14, G.S.Rakovski Str.) is one of the most precious sights from the Revival Period in the town; it was built by the masters of Tryavna (the Ethnographic Museum at present). The Nikola Simov-Kourouto Museum Exposition (20, Karavelov Str.). Sveshtarovs House (1860). The houses of priest Zahariev, of Ilia Katsarov and others. The Nikola Marinov Art Gallery (Mourgash Str. tel.: 0601 27760) bears the name of the renowned Bulgarian artist born in the town and possesses a rich collection of his works.

Monuments of Nikola Simov-Kourouto, of the Russian soldiers killed in the War of Liberation, of all those killed in the wars and others.

In Turgovishte there is a Theatre of Drama (Svoboda Square, tel.: 0601 23377) and a Puppet Theatre (Hristo Botev Str., tel.: 0601 25085). There is a branch of the Blagoevgrad University here.

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright