||Northwest Bulgaria > Vratsa > Landmarks
Landmarks of VratsaThe Town Museum of History (at the central Hristo Botev Square, tel.: 092 20373) is famous for its extremely valuable golden Thracian treasuries, its original samples of the well-known Vratsa goldsmith school and numerous exhibits and a lot of information about the life and last days of the poet and revolutionary Hristo Botev. There is an impressive monument of the poet in the central town square named after him. Immediately behind is the restored residential and defence turret of the Kurtpashovs. 150 metres north-west is located the other turret, constructed at the same time and to serve the same purpose, namely the turret of the Mezhchiis.
The Revival-Ethnographic Complex (General Leonov Str., tel.: 092 20209) includes the Hadzhitoshevs House (the most valuable and interesting), the house of Grigoriya Naidenov - a member of the local revolutionary committee and a volunteer, the house of Ivan Zambin, The Ascension Church dating back to 18th century, which gave shelter to Levski, P. R. Slaveikov and other revolutionaries and enlighteners. Also here is the oldest school in the town - The Ascension School (1822). There is a bust-monument of Vassil Levski in front of the complex. The Nikola Voivodov Complex (also in the centre of the town) includes the native house of Voivodov and the house-museum of the typical Vratsa urban traditions and style from the very beginning of the 20th century. Also here is the house of Gen. Kiril Botev, (Ivanka Boteva Str.), where the brother of Hristo Botev together with their mother lived from 1900 to 1903. The native house of Prof. Andrei Nikolov (Andrei Nikolov Str, below the Tourist House) - the patriarch of the Bulgarian sculpture, houses a permanent exhibition of his masterpieces. The beautiful Hristo Botev Tourist House, situated on the Kaleto Hill was built in the period 1926-1931 with the donations from the tourists of Vratsa. Steep stone stairs lead to the house and there is a round-routing asphalt road. In the proximity with the Tourist House is the monument of The Herald of Liberty. It at this place that one can hear each Sunday the sounds of a battle horn reproducing the signal of the Russian soldier, Petlak the Cossack, who had thus announced the liberation of the town on 9th November 1877. At about 100 metres behind the monument there is a high white-stone obelisk bearing the names of the volunteers from the region of Vratsa who took part in the war. The southern part of the town, where the Leva River leaves the Vratsata Gorge, houses the old craftsmanship area the Kemera Quarter. All the old shops and stores are currently under restoration. Some of them are already refurbished and may be visited. The Town Art gallery has a rich collection of the works of famous artists and sculptors, among which one can spot the names of Andrei Nikolov, St. Ivanov, Tseno Todorov, Ivan Funev, Pencho Georgiev, etc.