||Northwest Bulgaria > Yablanitsa > History
History of YablanitsaThis area was populated even during the Old Stone, Stone-Copper and Bronze Ages. There are numerous Thracian mounds scattered around the town, part of them being thoroughly explored. The name of the town Yablanitsa has centuries old history. It was first mentioned in 15th century as Ablanitsa, but the root of the word has Old Bulgarian origin (ablan meaning apple tree). During the Turkish rule the village was scattered and divided into quarters, and following the construction of the road from Rouschuk (Rousse) to Sofia, these quarters grouped around it. Its inhabitants were known as the so-called voinutsi (partially tax exempted against certain duties to the central authorities), who kept their freedom-loving spirit alive. They took part in the detachments of Philip Totyu, Hadzhi Dimitur, and Stefan Karadzha. In 1873 the Apostle Levski and Dimitur Obshti established a revolutionary committee there. During the Russian-Turkish War of Liberation (1877-1878) its inhabitants actively supported the troops of the Russian Gen. Gurko.
The beginning of 18th century gave strong impetus to the development of various crafts, out of which the pottery and halva producing are still very popular for the region. The first church school was opened in 1870. In 1879 the first independent school building was built. Yablanitsa was proclaimed a town in 1969.