Zone Bulgaria  
English
Bulgarian
Deutsch
French
Russian
 
Main Menu
Southeast Bulgaria > Yambol > History

History of Yambol

The earliest traces of communal life were discovered in the dozens of pre-historic living mounds. The so-called Rasheva and Marcheva Mounds are located on the territory of the present day town. These two date back to the neolith, eneolith and bronze epoch. Some of the finds recovered there are kept in the Parisian Louvre, the Archaeological Museum in Sofia, and mostly in the Museum of History in Yambol. The ancient town sprang up as a Thracian settlement called Kabile (some 10 km north-west of the town, near a village of the same name) at an important crossroad; later it became a significant fortress in the state of Philip of Macedonia. During the Roman domination the town reached its prime when people started minting coins. On his way through the town in 293 emperor Diokletian gave it the name of Diospolis (God town). It existed till 378 when the Goths destroyed it. The first written information dates back to 6th century. Since 11th-14th centuries it was mentioned as a Bulgarian town having different names - Diospolis, Dianopolis, Diampolis, Yampolis, Dublin, Dublino, Douboulino, and the Byzantine authors mentioned it as Dimpolis, Diampolis, Hiampolis. The town was mentioned with the name of Dubilin in an inscription of 1357 (the reign of Tzar Ivan Alexander). At the time it was situated on the border between Bulgaria and Byzantium, and nearby was the famous entrenchment Erkesiata. Some of the impressive fortress walls and turrets of medieval Yambol are still preserved.

The town was among the first in the Balkans to resist the Ottomans. It was conquered in 1373 after a long siege. During the Ottoman Rule many Turks settled to live around Hissarluka, and after the Russian-Turkish War of 1829 many Bulgarians from the town and the vicinity emigrated to Russia. The haidouts (armed volunteers, leaders or members of detachments) Georgi Garabdchi, Boudak Stoyan, Kara Dobri, Dyado Zhelyo and others based in countryside of the town, took part in the battles for liberation. The town is a native place of the revolutionaries Georgi Drazhev, Radi Kolessov, Zakhari Velichkov, etc. The Oriental town carried out active with agricultural products, silkworms, homespun material, predominantly with Odrin and Tsarigrad. The  so-called Salty Road from Anhialo to Plovdiv passed through the town. The Russian armies liberated it in January 1878. In memory of this act people built and inaugurated the St. Alexander Nevski Temple - the first monument of the Bulgarian-Russian friendship in Bulgaria. It was erected in the Bakadzhitsite area south-east of the town. In the first half of 20th century Yambol was known for its curative mineral water, unique rail tram tugged by horses, pheasant breeders, huge hangar for zeppelins of 1917. John Atanadsov, the inventor of computers, had kinship in Yambol, and it was a native place of Peter Noikov - the first professor in pedagogic, Atanas Radev - elite mathematician, Georgi Papazov and Ivan Popov - world famous painters, Kiril Krustev Bulgarian off encyclopedic knowledge, Stiliana Paraskevova who embroidered the prototype of Bulgarian national flag.

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright