Zone Bulgaria  
English
Bulgarian
Deutsch
French
Russian
 
Main Menu
Southwest Bulgaria > Kyustendil > Landmarks

Landmarks in Kyustendil

The Municipal Museum of History (tel.: 078 23534) was founded back in 1897. Each of its departments is accommodated in various cultural and historic monuments: The Department of Archaeology - in a house built in 1575 and notable for its architecture. The Revival and National Liberation Struggle Department - in the house of Ilyo Voivoda, and Ethnography Department and Post-liberation Development Department - in the Emfiedzhievs House, where the commander of the Russian troops was accommodated during the Russian-Turkish War.

The Vladimir Dimitrov - Maistora Art Gallery is a sight of a particular interest. (tel.: 078 24469, working hours: 9.30 a.m. - 11.30 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. 6.00 p.m., Tuesdays through Sunday). It occupies a separate building marked by an original architecture and a modern interior design. The main part of the exposition consists of over 200 masterpieces of the national painter Vladimir DimitrovMaistora (the Master). Works of some of the most outstanding artists like Kiril Tsonev, Assen Vassilev, Stoyan Venev, Nikola Mirchev, Boris Kolev and others, who were born or lived in the region are preserved and exhibited in the gallery. An impressive monument to the Maistora is erected in front of the gallery.

The Asclepion of Pautalia is an impressive Roman spa and shrine, dedicated to the god of health Asclepius, built in 2nd-3rd century. The whole building occupied an area of 3500 square metres. Large premises with a heating system, water pipes, architectural fragments and etc. have been discovered. It is located in the foundations of todays buildings of Chifte Banya and the Ahmed Bei Mosque. Other remarkable sights of the town are the following: St. Georgi Church (12th-13th century) in Kolusha Quarter, The Holy Virgin Church (1816) and St. Dimitur Church (1866), Pirkovs Tower (16th-17th centuory), the wall of the Devehani Inn (1606), Lekarska House, Prokopievs House, the old school (from 1849). There are monuments dedicated to the Russian soldiers who perished for the liberation of the town from Ottoman domination, other monuments, commemorating the heroes in the wars (1912-1918), to Ilyo Voivoda, to P. K. Yavorov.

One of the most valuable treasures of the town is the mineral water which springs out of 40 springs in the foot of Hissarlaka with temperature up to 73.4oC. There are several spas, 3 open-air swimming pools, sanatorium, recreation facilities in Kyustendil. The town and its surrounding areas are well-known as the Orchard of Bulgaria - mostly cherries, plums, apples, etc. are grown there.

Home | Search | Site map | Copyright